Home / Tips & Tutorials / Do I Need A License To Fly A Drone?
Do I Need A License To Fly A Drone?

Do I Need A License To Fly A Drone?

"Do I need a license to fly a drone?" "Do I need to register my drone?" These are two of the most common questions prospective drone owners ask. Well, these questions does not have certain answers. Whether you need a license to fly a drone depends on what kind of drone you own and what's your flight purpose. And the regulations differs in different countries.

For most countries, your need for a drone license depends on why you are flying. In the United States, if you will be paid to fly, or you will be otherwise compensated for any aspect of the flight, including selling your drone photos, or uploading your drone videos to YouTube with the Monetization tool turned on, you fall under the Part 107 regulations. 

The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) do not issue drone licenses, so in strict terms there is actually no such thing as a ‘drone license’ in the UK. The equivalent of a drone licence in the UK is either the A2 Certificate of Competency (A2 CofC) or the General Visual Line of Sight Certificate (GVC)

According to the U.K.’s national aviation authority, the Civil Aviation Authority of the U.K. (CAA), flying a drone is legal in the United Kingdom, but it's recommend being aware of and compliant with the drone regulations. Commercial drone operations in the U.K. require permission from the CAA.

To obtain a standard permission to fly commercially (PfCO), you must complete the CAA’s online application form and submit the following documents:

  • Initial application: Ops Manual, Insurance, NQE full recommendation or equivalent qualification
  • Renewal application: Ops Manual, Insurance, Flight Logs
  • Variation application: Ops Manual, Insurance, NQE recommendation or equivalent qualification if changing weight / class category
  • Renewal & Variation application: Ops Manual Insurance, NQE recommendation or equivalent qualification if changing weight / class category, Flight Logs

If you fly your drone outdoors for recreational purposes then you will need to register the device if it weighs more than 0.55 pounds(250gram). If your drone is under 250gram, you don't have to register it, like the autel evo nano and evo nano plus.

In general, different countries have different regulations for drone licenses. If you travel with a drone, learn the local drone laws before your flight. 

You Might Also Like:

Autel Robotics Introduces Training Programs for Dragonfish Series

How To Make Profit With A Drone?

How To Use Autel Sky App Dynamic Track?

Portrait Mode and more with Autel SKY APP new firmware update

A True Game Changer. Founded in 2014, Autel Robotics has always strived to let the needs of its customers drive innovation. We work tirelessly to provide the best aerial solutions, with tangible, everlasting value for our customers.


Leave a comment